Information taken from link here: http://saveindianfamily.org/articles/blogs/434-gender-arsenal.html
1. Section 498A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC): This section is formulated for married women who face physical and mental harassment from husband and in-laws and the cruelty is made for any unreasonable ‘demand’ (mostly dowry) from the woman and the cruelty is of such nature that it drives the woman to commit suicide or can be a danger to the life and limb of the woman.
2. Section 354 of the IPC: Assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty.
3. Section 509 of the IPC: Word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman.
4. Section 375 and 376 of the IPC: Rape of a woman.
5. Section 498 of the IPC: Enticing or taking away or detaining with criminal intent a married woman
6. Section 98 of the Criminal Procedure Code (CrPC): Power to compel restoration of abducted females.
7. Section 125 of the CrPC: Meant to provide no-fault maintenance to wife from husband.
8. Section 24 of the Hindu Marriage Act, 1955 (HMA): Though gender neutral, is largely used by women to extract maintenance from their husbands in pendency of a divorce.
9. Section 25 of the HMA: Meant to provide alimony to women from divorce.
10. Section 18 of the Hindu Adoptions and Maintenance Act: Another provision for maintenance to wives.
11. Dowry Prohibition Act, 1961: Though gender neutral in its definition, this Act is largely used to protect women and there are also some judgments for cases filed under this Act, which are gender biased towards women.
12. Immortal Trafficking Prevention Act: Deals with trafficking of women.
13. Indecent Representation of Women Act: Title is self-explanatory.
14. Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act: Empowers women to abort their unborn children legally.
15. Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act: Meant to tackle Domestic Violence faced by women.
New laws being proposed for protection/welfare of women
NCW has more laws being proposed to help women. Whether they will help society at large or even women for that matter is still being debated.
1. Proposal for compensation of Rs. 2 Lakhs to rape victims.
2. Sexual Harassment Bill.
3. Workplace Harassment Bill.
4. Law to protect maids and so on and so forth.
Read my maintenance book (DV and CrPC 125) if you want to save HARD EARNED money. Use coupon code MenToo to get 52% discount and help it win Sales Contest to promote #MenToo awareness. (Kindle eBook version) (Print Paperback version)
Download my free PDF eBook Surviving the Legal Jungle
Don't be a lone ranger... JOIN our Facebook group to connect
Read this FREE eBook written by fathers involved in child custody issues (Read Online)(PDF book)